About this Workshop
Understanding how to use Akka clusters effectively is well worth the effort. Ask anyone that “gets it.” In this workshop, we use a simple yet powerful visualization of a 5-node, RaspberryPi-based cluster to reveal the inner workings of Akka Cluster. In a matter of minutes, you will gain a strong understanding of clustering.
- No prior knowledge of Akka is required, just an open mind and curiosity about learning Akka
- Basic notions of Clustering
- Basic exposure to terminal / command line
- Java 8, sbt, ability to clone git repo
Attendees leave with:
- Understanding of Core Akka Clustering concepts:
- Cluster node state (Down, Up, Weakly-up, Joining, …)
- Leader Election and Leader role
- Heartbeating, Gossip protocol, Failure detector
- Understand what “Split Brain” means in the context of Clustering and the consequences of it occurring
- Using the Akka Split Brain Resolver to avoid running into Cluster Split Brain occurrences
- Understand the different Split Brain Resolver strategies
- Run a sample clustered service and access it via a REST interface
- Understand and explore Cinnamon based monitoring of a clustered service
- Explore advanced Akka Clustering features such as Akka Cluster Sharding, Cluster Roles, Singleton, Distributed PubSub, Distributed Data, Backing Microservices with Akka Cluster
SHARE THIS WORKSHOP
Lightbend, Principal Enterprise Architect
I have a passion for leading enterprise transformations, creating innovative solutions using emerging technologies to modernize heritage environments. I find a certain joy developing large scale distributed systems using Reactive Principles, especially when building with Lightbend Reactive Platform - Akka and friends. I have slight Scala bias, but at least half of my time is spent with Java. I enjoy the benefits of broad industry experience having worked in entertainment, hospitality, retail, life science and others. I do play favorites, but you’ll have to ask on the right day. My personal passion project involves non-profit missions in anti human trafficking with focus on prevention and aftercare. For fun, I live “simultaneously” on different continents and wander all the earth and seas between.
Lightbend, Consultant and Trainer
Eric's a Scala & Akka champion, a global course instructor for Lightbend. Eric began programming in various machine languages some odd 35 years ago, subsequently passing via C and Java to Scala and Akka. Eric's glad with the coming of age of Reactive Systems and enjoys helping others learn to build them.
View Workshops Workshop Tickets